Friday, March 10, 2006

Dinner and A Show

Apparently, several years ago, I called Mackenzie a lesbian.

I don't remember it that way. I do remember noticing aloud, in front of her, Tater and Dillon, how she never played with the Barbies, the dolls, the princess costumes that other little girls seemed to immerse themselves in and instead spent her playtime with the Brio train, blocks, and Legos. How she refused to wear dresses and while boys were super-fun to play with, the suggestion that she may one day grow up to marry or even kiss one caused her to shriek in horror.

Apparently, the way I noticed this sounded a lot like, "Gee, I think Mackenzie might be a lesbian." She was five.

Then recently, the rest of the family has said a couple of other things that, on their own, were pretty benign, but coupled with my earlier observation, sounded a lot like, "Huh, Mackenzie might be a lesbian."

So, last night, when she came home and told Dillon and I during dinner that she had made the Drama Club, and then Dillon said, in all sincerity, "I can see her going to high school and being a thespian", she had every right to completely drop sync with sanity and scream at us, "I AM NOT A LESBIAN!!!"

At which point Dillon and I looked at each other, our mouths dropped open (for Mackenzie never yells), and we howled with laughter. Tears were squirting out our eyes, stomach muscles were cramping, we gasped for air.

And then explained to her the difference between thespian and lesbian.

3 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I myself was a thespian. And my sister was a thespian AND a lesbian. So, really, the fireld is wide open.

Poor Noodle. Where do I send those contributions for her therapy?

Anonymous said...

Mac...if you are a lesbian...I will help and invite you into the fold.

You also get a free toaster and dyke haircut if you sign up before January 2007. So think about it.

Brenda said...

Amazing what you say and what they hear.... It must go in one ear, get rerouted in the caverns of the brain, mistranslated in a dark cave, and come out all jumbled.

My favorite is..."No you can't do that". And they hear..."Mom said it was okay".