Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Dalai Mama

I grew up thinking my parents had a perfect relationship. I saw them argue, I heard them argue, but every night, when my dad came home, he went up to the kitchen where Mom was usually preparing dinner and he held her. And he kissed her. And he squeezed her butt and made her giggle and I knew they were happy.

So when I got married, I expected that in the end, as long as the bottom line was that you loved each other, any marriage could succeed.

And then I got divorced, in a failure of epic proportions.

A year later, a man, a boy, really, asked me to marry him. And I said yes, but I had my reservations. I had failed so miserably before that I didn't trust my own instincts.

I talked with my mom. I told her my fears, my concerns, my doubts. We talked for a long time, about what, exactly, I can't recall, but one thing she said has stayed with me during these past 15 years. It's the voice of reason in my head when Marriage, the Institution, is having an off day.

I had told her that I wanted to have a relationship like she had with Dad.

And she looked at me and she laughed gently and she said, "Paige. My life hasn't always been what I had imagined. There were days that I wanted to pack my bags and walk out that door and not look back. But I didn't. I stayed because I knew that Life with your Dad was better than Life without him."

That day, she taught me that marriage, no matter how it looks on the outside, is work on the inside. And that it was ok to have doubts; that Marriage is worth the effort as long as the end result does not subtract from my Self.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

"...as long as the end result does not subtract from my Self." Great words of advice.

It took me nearly 25 yrs. to realize that I was not whole in my marriage. One day, a little card caught my attention and helped me to carry out my need for self-healing. Well, the card and some gentle nudging from friends and family who could see better what was going on around me.

"Remember your dreams."

Even today, and back in the dating scene, I make sure I keep those words front and center.

Anonymous said...

wow... that advice sounds mildly familiar. :)

good advice too if i may add.

Brooke said...

You got it. And I feel I can comment, seeing as how I'm on my third (and most wonderful) marriage.

Thank god.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

That's one smart Mama you got there.

My Mom sometimes says, "Divorce, never. Murder, maybe" but she doesn't mean it. She said to pick someone you knew you could always count on, as opposed to someone who was just a good dancer. Also good advice.

The Humanity Critic said...

That's a great post. My friends who don't undertsnad the concept of marriage like you do should read this post..

Candi said...

Now, see, my parents made me litigate their divorce. It's a real wonder I have marriage issues...