Thursday, February 26, 2004

O'Club Pasta & Mucous-y Noodle

OK!

Everyone was back to school and work today and I had a Totally Normal Day!! Wooo-hooo! After 9 days of no gym (which I can't totally blame on The All Encompassing Flu From Hell, because, let's face it - if I had REALLY wanted to get out there, I would have found the time), I returned to Yoga Class with my prerequisite 1-Mile-Warm-Up-Walk-And-Talk with Rachelle. This is where we do our much-needed catching-up from the previous day. It also serves as Therapy (what with us having to share houses with mondo Type-A husbands and all...) and it's Free!

The kids and I took Hiroko out tonight for her Birthday Dinner. It was Pasta Night at the O'Club. Generally, I try to stay away from the kitchen at The Club, but Hiroko has only been a couple of times and, really, where in Japan was I going to take her that could actually be considered a treat? So, in we went and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised! It was buffet-style and you got to pick out some veggies and some pasta to give the Sautee-Guy and he sauteed them up right in front of you with a little garlic/olive-oil combo and then, if desired, they had 3 different sauces (meat sauce, tomato sauce, and alfredo) to slather it all up in. But I like my pasta with olive oil and garlic only. And a little parmesan cheese. At least I chose some vegetables! Noodle, on the other hand, chose plain pasta (yes, sauteed - baby steps!). No veggies. She did have a side of the shrimp and bacon toppings. Not mixed in, like regular people, but on the side. The WAY-side. A whole different plate. Now, sit for a moment and try to imagine me explaining this to the Japanese Buffet Guardian...

Yeah. Not easy. I finally just gave her her plate containing 3 shrimp and a teaspoon of crumbled bacon and told her to run like the wind!!!

Oh. And there was a salad bar. With foccacia bread.

By the way, Noodle is a shit. You know how, when kids are sick and they are So Horribly Busy that they don't blow their noses? And so they keep sniffing up a ginormous wad of mucous so as to not have it drip off their chin? (Because while kids ARE, by definition, Gross, they do have SOME standards.) Well, THAT. DRIVES. ME. INSANE. That gurgling, snuffling, snotty booger-dance makes me sick to my stomach. The sound of it and the mental image of it sliding down and then being sucked back up makes me want to vomit.

So she does it in my ear.

Just to tease me.

So while I'm yelling at her to blow her nose, I can't help but laugh, because that is just what a 9-year-old thinks is freakin' HILARIOUS.

She gets it from her dad.

No comments: