Monday, March 01, 2004

Missing Dresses & Lenten Sacrifice

We had a really busy weekend - The Really Stupid Farewell on Friday, a wetting down on Saturday (Wojo's), for which the guy spent a small fortune on food & an open bar, and hardly anyone showed up. Me, Candi and Ang were the only wives there (file that under Big Freakin' Surprises - Cara would have been there but she's in the states), and not so many guys were there...maybe 20? Poor Woj. Then on Sunday we went out to dinner with Drew to Outback. I've decided it's my favorite foreign restaurant...

Has anyone seen my new black t-shirt dress? I got it in the mail about 3 weeks ago and tried it on and haven't seen it since. I think it's somewhere in my closet, but that doesn't really narrow it down at all...we have a walk-in...actually, it's more of a "stand-in" closet. About 6 feet of hanger-space to share and an empty 4 foot wall. So we put up some shelves there and that's where my jeans, tees, workout clothes...actually, pretty much everything that's not hung up goes on those shelves. Because my Tater-man has control of the 6-drawer dresser... AND the armoire....

Just occuring to me... I'm getting screwed.

Anyway, so I've lost this dress somewhere in my house and it's really starting to bug me. I'm starting to obsess about it. I actually had a hard time sleeping last night for racking my brain trying to figure out where it got sandwiched...I'm convinced it must be stuck between two other pieces of clothing and somehow disguised beyond all recognition. And I fear that the only way to find it is to drag EVERYTHING out of the closet. And that doesn't sound fun.

Because I thought I might get to wear it soon - it was 70 degrees last Sunday.

But then it snowed today.

I guess I can put off the destruction for a bit.

I gave up sweets for Lent. I usually do. No more ice cream after dinner, no more baking cookies just for the heck of it. No more sweets when Hiroko brings us each a piece of bakery cake. No more Doughnut Sunday Mornings (that's the kids treat for suffering through CCD).

But I gotta tell ya: It's starting to get on my nerves. I just don't take well to deprivation. Which, I realize is the point. It makes me do the exact opposite of the intended (Tater learned this pronto after we got married) so I'm thinking about giving up bourbon instead. Yes, I REALIZE I don't drink bourbon. That should make it easier. Duh.

Last year, during Lent, Tater was in the Persian Gulf doing a 6-month deployment. I wrote him and asked what sacrifice he was making. He wrote back and said, “Home, my family, air conditioning, my bed, good food, sex, and beer. Isn'’t that enough?

I thought so.

No comments: