Wednesday, March 31, 2004

Blackened Pork Chops

Did I ever mention how last week I caught our dinner on fire?

Yup.

Had to break out the fire extinguisher.

I put some nice pork chops on the grill, on medium-low, and then went back into the kitchen to complete the rest of the meal. About 5 minutes later, I went out to check on them.

My first clue was the black, rolling smoke. Flames were shooting out every hole in that grill. I turned off the gas, but the flames didn't go down. I finally got the lid lifted, but the flames didn't go down. I really, really didn't want to break out the extinguisher - that would make it a Real Emergency. Alas, I had no choice. Out from under the kitchen sink and out to the back patio I dragged the extinguisher.

Like a fireman I wielded that hose, immediately dousing the fire, choking on the smoke and chemicals.

Then I went in to call my neighbor and let her know that the black, rolling smoke she sees out her back window is under control. While I was talking I wandered through the house, back towards the patio, and what do you think I saw? Black, rolling smoke.

"Um, hold on Wendy....."

Douse, douse, douse...

"...Ok. NOW the black smoke is under control."

I checked on it about 10 more times that night. It was over.

And the kids and I went out for dinner.

No comments: