Sunday, July 23, 2006

Life, Deconstructed

At 9:30 last night, just as I sat down to share my Super-Fun Saturday with you, my phone rang. It was this lady, Laura. She had fallen and couldn't get up. So I'm all by myself and not-so-sure that I can lift her. She is not any taller than my 5'2", but probably outweighs me by a good 40 lbs. As I walked the two doors down to her house, I started looking around at which neighbors were home, should I need to call in reinforcements.

As I let myself in and called for her, I could smell the musty odor of an old person's house. A house that doesn't get open to the fresh air often enough and clothes that don't get washed every wearing. She is all alone in the house since the niece came and wisked Laura's 89-year-old boyfriend away to Boothbay Harbor to live out his life in his Alzheimers-induced haze.

She called to me from upstairs and as I rounded the corner, saw her kneeling by the side of the bed as a child would saying her nightly prayers. I've been here for over an hour, she cried. She couldn't reach the old rotary-dial telephone mounted high on the wall, just off her headboard, my phone number in large Black-Sharpy numbers taped just to the left of it. I tried pulling on the cord and scooting to the guestroom to use the other phone, but I just couldn't do it. I rested for a while and found one last store of energy to reach the phone. It was over 2 feet away from where she now kneeled. I don't know how she managed.

And as I hurried around the bed, I saw that she was only wearing a shirt. No pants or even panties. I was immediately thankful I hadn't found a man to help me on my short journey over. The indignity of her situation brought tears to my eyes but her need for help brought me back. I put my arms under hers and as I waited for her to tell me 'when', the realization that she hadn't showered for a few days hit me in the face. On the count of three, it became apparent that I could not lift her by myself and that her legs, having kneeled for almost an hour were useless. But I got her up far enough to lean her chest on the bed and haul her legs over, one at a time, until she was lying face-down on the corner of the bed, half nude and sweaty. We got her turned over on her side and she immediately asked me to sit down.

Laura talked for well over an hour. About her husband, who died 12 years ago, their meeting when he was a young Air Force Officer in Germany, her mother's death in a German nursing home, her boyfriend's family and their reluctance to let him talk to her on the phone, and the possibility of her moving to an Assisted Living facility. She would have gone on talking had I not realized aloud that Chris would be home and worried about me. Clearly, her loneliness is far worse than her back pain from her age-deformed spine, or her overused knees, each needing surgery to make them work properly again, or the obvious, unspoken, alcohol addiction.

I sat there and listened to her, having a hard time reconciling that the jaw-droppingly beautiful woman in the black-and-white photos dotting the walls was the same woman who now lived alone in a three-story home, with bad knees and hunched back, no family at all except distant, unknown relatives in Germany. I am worried what will come of her. I am scared that right now, she could be lying on her floor, unable to reach a phone for help. I weep for the indignity of having to call a virtual stranger for help while lying naked on the floor, unable to help yourself, and I wondered that this problem is not at all uncommon in our aging society.

I think Laura's getting closer and closer to realizing she can't go on alone there. I will check in on her and help her when I can, and encourage her to more actively consider moving to where she will have the daily support she needs, but I won't stop worrying. Not until I know she's safe.

8 comments:

sarah doow said...

Paige, your actions impress me as much as Laura's situation saddens me.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

This is so sad. I'm so glad she at least has you to call. I hope she'll consider assisted living. She'd be less lonely nad certainly better cared for that she is on her own.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking exactly what doow said.

I'll keep her in my prayers, as well as a prayer of thanks that there are people like you in the world.

Anonymous said...

Paige, I always knew you were an angel, sent from heaven. xoxoxo

Candi said...

Paige, Could you talk her into getting one of those medical alert devices that you wear?

She is so very lucky to have you. So many people don't have someone in their own family that would come running as quickly as you did.

Besides the ex-boyfriend, is there no one to talk her into, maybe, assisted living - or to see if her medicare/medicaid may cover a "check-in" by an RN weekly at least? Maybe these are just suggestions you could make to her? What an uncomfortable situation...

I think Omm said it best...

Paige said...

Thanks guys. I heart you.

I've been thinking about her all weekend. On the one hand, I want her to have some help and be safe, but on the other hand, I don't want her to have so much help and be so comfortable that the thinks she can stay in that house alone. She really, truly needs to be in assisted living. Her lonliness and alcoholism, combined with the stairs the biggest reasons why. I've been over there before when she was out of it and inadvertently left the stove on - it's a wonder she hasn't burned the house down yet. I did get an offer from a Friend and her church group to help her out and I'll discuss it with Laura this afternoon.

Jes - We did talk about the medi-alert ("Help, I've fallen and can't get up") thing but she really, really just doesn't want to make any decisions. There is a lady here in the neighborhood who used to be her BFF and is her executor/trustee but they had some sort of falling out and I don't think she'll really listen to her anymore. Also, she's moving ASAP, after her house sells, to about an hour away. I can't imagine being so alone.

I'll keep you posted...

Anonymous said...

Wow, Paige, thank God you were there to help her. I am not sure what all the answers are - save what you already said needs to happen. Prayer offered for this situation. And hugs to you for being someone's angel this weekend - you do realize that many people just wouldn't have been bothered with it. Just the listening probably meant so, so much to her.

DebbieDoesLife said...

Thank God you were there. I agree she needs an assisted living situation (and not you being that for her either!!). Does she have family? You are a wonderful person and neighbor but can't take on this responsibility completely.

You did such a sweet thing.