Saturday, June 24, 2006

Inappropriate Parental Reaction

The first Dive Meet is tomorrow. So for the past few evenings, at Mac's request, she and I have headed over to the pool for a couple hours of one-on-one practice with Mom-as-coach (again, her request - let's make that perfectly clear). She's doing great, despite the fact that she gave me heart palpitations when she cleared the board on an Inward by only about 4 inches. I asked her to stop for a little while. Watching your child smash her head against the board is not on my list of Fun Saturday Activities.

So she switched to Forward Somersault, Pike Position. They were gorgeous. High, and pikey and controlled. She did this a few times until she decided to switch to Forward Dive Pike Position. And she caught some great air off the board, and touched her toes...It was fabulous!....

Right up until the moment she forgot what she was doing and tried to whip her legs around in a somersault. She didn't get very far, ended up in a backbend, and the sound of her back smacking the water is still reverberating across Northern Virginia.

As is the sound of her friends and I laughing hysterically.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does that ever take me back to watching you dive.. and you did hit your head on the board. I believe it was at North Mont. Yes, my heart did skip a few beats...

Paige said...

Ouch! That one made me cringe. I'm sure I would have been laughing too though!

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

OOOoowwww! Please tell her she's not allowed to hit her head on the board. I can't bear to think about the coconut 'CLONK!" that would entail.

Irish Eyes said...

I feel your pain, Mac. I was once forced to "do" a flip in front of an entire class of level three's at swimming lessons. They were booing when I surfaced and the other teacher was standing on the pool deck crying from laughter.

Candi said...

All I can picture is Greg Louganis hitting his head... Ouch!

I do love that you laughed at her, and, although your story didn't say it, I bet she was able to laugh at herself, too.

After the initial pain and bruising dissipated, that is.

Paige said...

Yes. She totally came up for a breath cracking up. She knew what it had to look like..... still funny as Hell - I laugh every time I think about it.

Brooke said...

Ow! But at least she laughed...poor thing!