Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Daily Dive, Tux Position

I finally solved the Colossal Roof-Replacement Debacle at work. Beth will be so proud. She should give me a raise. (Hi Beth!)

And then I had my teeth cleaned. There was mucho scraping (apparently my saliva is rich in calcifying minerals (*insert dirty joke here*)) resulting in marginal bleeding. But now my gums are fine and my teeth are so slippery!

Then Dillon sent me a text message: "Need a tux. Prom Friday. After school?" HOLY FUCK! How can the prom be on Friday?! Didn't I just pick him up at pre-school last Friday? Weren't we just reading "Go, Dog, Go" together? Aren't I too young to be tearing up while my baby sticks a corsage on a teen-age girl's chest while trying not to touch her boobies?

So I took him to the tailor, a super-cute old Korean man, in an out of the way office in a non-descript complex. As we walked toward the door I told Dillon, "If all they have is powder-blue polyester or tails with gold lame cumberbunds, then give me the high-sign and we can bail." Ok. It was a plan.

But when we got inside, the tailor was so happy to see us, and he had a book full of gorgeous tuxedos and he helped me out by updating me on the new hip tux trends. Apparently 2 buttons bad, 3 buttons good. Cumberbunds extinct, your choice between bow-tie and regular tie. Added on a vest (at an extra charge) and shoes (extra large). While he measured Dillon, he asked if I had other kids, recognized that I must love my son very much, told me how handsome he is and then showed us a photo of his two boys ("Tall like your boy"), and then gave us a discount and thanked us about 5 times on our way out the door. I got the distinct impression he didn't get much teen-age traffic in there and was thrilled to see us. I liked him too and will take my next pair of pants that needs to be altered to "freakishly short" to him.

Then we ran a couple of errands and while that itself wasn't notable, we had a great time together, something that seems to be more and more rare with each passing day.

Later, as I made my way through the throng of tween girls in the pool locker room, trying to pick my wet curly-head baby out from the other wet divers & swimmers, a giant smile caught my eye. Mackenzie. "Guess what I did today!"

"What?!"

Grinning and suspense... "An INWARD! Four times!"

Squealing and laughing! "I was so scared, but I did it! I can do it!"

So we went to find her coach, who was smiling and just as proud of her as I was. "Mackenzie's got a special gift. Other people can't locate their body in space and while they are ok divers, will never be great divers. She can do anything."

And so ended a day of triumph and pain and melancholy and laughter and pride. It was just a regular day, but sometimes even regular days can be Great.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a neat day! Sounds a bit hokey, but thanks for sharing it with us.

Anonymous said...

Okay, me thanking you sounds hokey, not your day, LOL!

Paige said...

Hehehe. I knew that. :)

Candi said...

...while my baby sticks a corsage on a teen-age girl's chest while trying not to touch her boobies?

No, he IS trying to touch her boobies, he's just trying to do it so it looks like an accident.

Tell Mac that is AWESOME! We in Japan are very proud of her! Tell her my big "diving" accomplishment was belly flopping off the high dive as I tried to dive but chickened out half way through.

DebbieDoesLife said...

What a great day!! Love that Mac did her dive but what a special day with your son.

Brenda said...

Don't you just wish you could freeze these good moments in time and then pull them out when you needed an extra boost? Now, you know.... you must soon supply pictures of said boobie touching event and of said twirling in mid air while defying gravity.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I second the vote for pictures. What a great day.

I used to be able to do an inward dive, but it scared me silly. I stopped doing them when I slipped and almost clonked my head on the board. I'm so proud of Mac for being brave.

Dillon can always go with the wrist corsage. Or a tiny bouquet. Especially if she's wearing a strapless gown. Tricky.

And I'd call you 'petite' rather than 'freakishly short'.

Paige said...

Actually, we did go with the wrist corsage. Apparently, boobie corsages are out (I guess the last generation finally said, "Enough is enough! No more floppy roses on our Boobs!"

And, I am afraid that I won't get any first-hand photos of the Prom Couple. They are just good friends and D pleaded with me to not make him come back here. I conceded with the understanding that Kim has to email me the photos her parents take.

But, I have photos of the Noodle and her amazing dive!

Irish Eyes said...

Does this girl dive in meets yet? Can I make signs? And bring a bell?

Paige said...

Bridge~ Yes she does, and ABSOLUTELY! Who doesn't love their own cheering section?

DebbieDoesLife said...

Re: the whole no pic things.

Since I have three boys and will always be ripped off when it comes to pics, my hubs and I followed our son to the girls house and then took pics there. He ACTED like he hated it but I don't think he really did. It was just his job to say "no, mom, no pics". I know he would tell you now that he thought it was cool and he knew how much we cared by doing it.

Brenda said...

I've been known to follow them (with their knowledge) to the restruant to get pictures. I show no mercy. When it's a group of kids, no one can argue and they are all big hams anyway. :-) It's also fun to give them a disposable camera to take to the dance.

word verification: nesiy sometimes... they are so funny!

Paige said...

Debbie~ I thought of doing that for the Homecoming dance! But he really, really asked me nicely not to, but conceded to bring the group back here for pictures. And for this one, I didn't want to make a big deal out of it since he and Kim are just friends and they are actually going with a group of Kim's friends, many of whom he doesn't know. They're all Seniors and D's a Junior. I still have next year, though...

Brenda~ HILARIOUS! I like the disposable camera idea...