Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Caving to the Demands of the Dog

During the winter, I always keep a case of bottled water in the back of the car so as to satisfy our thirst at a moments notice. As the spring has progressed, the water has gotten warmer and warmer and then yesterday, after DC hit a record high, I noticed that the bottoms of the remaining bottles were starting to bulge, creating water-bottle-weebles. It was time to bring them in. When your water hits 100 degrees it's undrinkable no matter how parched you are.

So carry them in I did, and dropped them all just inside the back door while I went back for bags of groceries. While out at the car, I heard Dog going ape-shit. I wondered what the problem could be inside; he always follows me in and out, in and out, while I collect the bags, sniffing for the bag that holds the roast beef. But the barking and barking had me worried. I hurried back inside to see him perched right next to the half-full* case of water, looking from the bottles to me, back to the bottles then me, trying to get the message across, "Give me a damn bottle!"

*Yup, I'm an optimist.

Your dog may enjoy rawhides or bones or squeaky toys, but mine likes empty (or not-so-empty) water bottles...

In fact, he demands them:



And then he tears the paper off:



And then he chews them to pieces:



And then he demands more:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's way too cute - my old cocker spaniel used to do the same thing to 2 liter soda bottles. She would be sound asleep upstairs and and as soon as she heard the lid come off she would haul a$$ downstairs and growl at the bottle until we would give it to her. Dogs are funny creatures :-)

Candi said...

That is absolutely hysterical. You don't have a dog, that is a small, very fury, three year old.

Rock said...

My water bottles are on a strict not-to-exceed 12 hour limit in the car - for just this very reason.

DebbieDoesLife said...

Yes! I've seen you too and I believe I actually came and read a post before. Did I comment?? Can't remember.

First of all, is that really a picture of you?? You look like a super model and can't be a mother of a H.S. senior. Good luck next year. Its when I really started losing my mind.

Your dog is adorable!! I would give him whatever he asks for.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

My dog is the same way (okay, he's technically my parents dog now, but still). You cannot reason with Taiko. It's best just to cave.