Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Come To Find Out...

..that apparently, I'm "scary". Or so thinks Dillon's girlfriend. Evidently, I am the second scariest person she knows.

Which begs the question:

Who's the first scariest person she knows? Elmo?

Apparently, I give her "a look".

I've known about this for a few weeks now, and have truly tried to not look at her in any sort of suspect manner when she comes over, but it seems I have been unsuccessful. She was here yesterday and after she left, she told Dillon that I was doing it again. Which is funny, because I've consciously tried not to be fearsome or disapproving. I think I'm a fun, fun girl! I crack myself up!

So I got to thinking:

Just maybe as Super-Fun Girl (Pass the Tequila, Please) Paige aka Brandi, I'm not-at-all scary to my friends and family but perhaps to an almost-adult son's girlfriend, I represent the potential (dreaded) mother-in-law with all of the disapproving glances, judgmental attitudes and unjustified prejudices included in one all-inclusive, drama-rich, scary-as-hell package.

Is perceived stand-off-ishness and disapproval of a girlfriend an inevitable by-product of being the mother of a son? An unconscious manifestation of the threat (real or not) of a son's Oedipus Complex? Are mothers and daughters-in-law doomed to forever compete for a son's loyalty? One of those circle-of-life deals that suck us in generation after generation?

I don't know. But I do know one thing:

I AM NOT SCARY, DAMNIT!

10 comments:

Nina said...

You know what? After little thinking, I believe it may be benefecial to be that scary something that she'll always fear. Keeps her on her toes.
And, by the way, since D doesn't know me from Adam, you can pass along this advice:
DO NOT IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM GET TIED DOWN TO SOMEONE BEFORE YOU HAVE GONE TO COLLEGE AND GROWN UP, NO MATTER HOW DAMN IN LOVE YOU THINK YOU ARE.
Did I get that across, you think?

Believe me -- it'll come back to haunt you.
*above post details the horror that all future daughter or sons in law will go through with ME being the mother in law.
(insert witch laugh here)

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Maybe she senses that you can see right through her vapid facade?

Anonymous said...

1. Hope you can figure all this out and post all about it before I get to that point in the boys' lives!

2. You know, I think many boyfriends thought my parents were scary. they were not. they just were very dedicated to not expressing an opinion (with two notable exceptions!) on who/what type of guys I dated. I think the "objectivity" came off as the stand-offishness you mentioned.

3. Maybe she is just one of those girls who loves (is addicted to)drama? Uses her "fear" of you to get Dillon to prove some sort of "loyalty" to her?

4. You don't look much like Marie Barone(sp) to me!

Anonymous said...

Scary is good. You just wait until it is Mac bringing boys home. You will be happy to have the scary look about you.

Brenda said...

You are not scary. But, you are a parental figure, so use it to your advantage!

Candi said...

Hm... You're damn if you do, and damned if you don't - apparently.

Seriously? Scary?

I can use a LOT of adjectives for you, but no no no....

Paige said...

So. I thought about it, consulted with one of the smartest humans on Earth, and have decided that (a little bit) "scary" is probably a good thing.

Nina~ I'm thinking about posting that on his mirror.

MB~ #3 - intersting perspective. Hadn't thought of that, but it makes sense and I'll certainly keep my eye on it! #4 made me laugh out loud.

Betty. Shut up. Remember? I am in denial about that.

Queenie said...

i say do funny thins with knives and chainsawa when she is around.
Have some fun!

Q

Queenie said...

Holy crap. I look like a bloody moron who cannot spell.
Stupid laptops.

Q

John said...

I've been slow on the upkeep of reading my blogs, so when I was reading through you I noticed this title.

It wasn't about me. Sadness.

:)