Monday, January 19, 2004

The Inevitable Day I Got Sick

For God's sake, shoot me now.

Yesterday my throat started tickling and my nose started running, and now, a day and a half later, I am a full-on case of NASTY, NASTY headcold. I am simply gross. My head feels like someone has inflated a beachball inside it and then proceeded to kick it around the room all day. My eyes aren't even focusing on the same things at the same time, my mouth is lolling open because no air can penetrate my corked-up nose, my brain is throbbing against my sinuses, and my ears hurt. (...and for SOME reason, T doesn't want to use the last condom on me...) :)

It NEVER fails. Ever since I was a kid in high school, after a particularly stressful week, usually finals, I would turn up sick. Usually with strep throat. After the crazy month we've had, what with Christmas, D's birthday, a ski trip, Change of Command, and Mac's birthday, I'd say I'm probably due for a brain aneurism. So I guess I'll just be pleased with my plain-ole, garden-variety cold.

Actually, this is probably my own damn fault. Last week one day, D and I were high-fiveing ourselves because we hadn't had a cold yet this year. (Last Cold Season, we each had 9...YES, NINE!...colds. The high school even sent me a "Nasty Gram" telling me how important that my child not be truant so as to get the best grades possible. I called them up and promptly reminded them that he was on the High Honor Roll and in National Honor Society and to get off my ass. But it WAS starting to get ridiculous...I was ready to take us in for a "chem-7, cbc, stat!") Lesson learned: Never tempt The Fates.

Have I mentioned how dog-tired I was...yet I can't sleep? I took Dimetapp Cold, which didn't even make a dent in this misery. I went to bed at 8pm, since I can't even stand up straight. Tater came to bed around 11 and found me still awake and suggested some wine. A FINE suggestion, I thought (especially since I found some Shiraz at Zama last week and wanted to try it out), so I did and here I am.

It didn't work. Every time I even begin to lay my head down, I start to suffocate and wake my self up in a primordial fight for survival.

And, I'm hot.

Which is good news, because I guess that means I don't have a fever...

I'll toast to that!

No comments: