Saturday, April 01, 2006

Retro-Longing

I want to be on "That 70's Show".

I don't mean that I want to be an actor in the cast. I want to beeeee there. In 1978, 17 years old, wearing bell-bottoms and prairie skirts, with long, straight Marsha-hair*, hanging out in the basement with Eric & Donna, Hyde & Jackie, Fez & Kelso (but not so much Kelso), splitting a 6-pack, or riding around in Eric's car while jamming to Classic Rock (though then it was just called "Rock"). I want to eat fondue and Kitty's fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

*Oh, wait. I still have that.

"That 70's Show" reminds me how simple life used to be. No computers, no video games, only 3 channels on TV... we went to school and then hung out with our friends or went to afternoon jobs. We amused ourselves with kick-the-can or "Life". (And the "Circle of Weed", but that's an entirely different post...) We weren't stressed out about AP classes and SAT's and having the "right" activities on our "College Resumes". Granted, many didn't go to college and ended up working at the Electronics Store, but at least they weren't stressed.

I miss the days where the worst thing we did was climb the water-tower to have a few drinks or "did it" in the back of a VW bus. I miss when Life was simple.

Maybe I should stop watching the "That 70's Show" Marathon on Friday nights.

4 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Pat and I are going to BE Red and Kitty in 17 years....

Brooke said...

And damn if I didn't absolutely LOVE disco! Nothing like dancing where you get to HOLD HANDS!

Candi said...

Wait, we shouldn't eat fondue now?? What about the chocolate fondue??

Anonymous said...

Yep, I am to addicted to that 70's show I was 17 in 1979...and I miss some of the stuff from then...