Saturday, April 08, 2006

Mao's Revenge

I've been awake since 4-something. It was the Chinese. Not the Communism or the over-population or the extreme poverty. Not Mao's reign of terror that kept me from slumber. It was the General Tsao's Chicken.

I slept fitfully from 11:30 until 4-ish, then woke up using all my intestinal fortitude trying to refrain from vomiting. Now, it's an hour later, I must remain vertical, and I'm thinking that if I had just barfed in the first place I'd feel a lot better right now and what will, in short order be Saturday, will be infinitely more productive.

I used to love Chinese food.

But lately, it loves me not so much. I have to wonder if that's another function of my advancing age. I also can't eat garlic anymore or drink more than 1 glass of wine without serious repurcussions.

And it leaves me to ponder. During the next 40 years, will I be reduced to only eating plain yogurt and white rice?

2 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I'm so sorry the chicken came back to haunt you. Are you sure they aren't putting msg in your food? Makes my sister really sick. It may not be age, may just be "ancient Chinese secret".

Candi said...

You had me at I can't eat garlic ....