Friday, April 21, 2006

Mathematics Hip-Hip

Has Destiny's Child recorded any hip-hop songs about math?

Mac has the most amazing ability to remember any song she's heard only a few times. I've listened to "Light My Candle" from Rent twice as many times as she has but can only sing along with half as much as she. It's a difficult song of a conversation between Roger and Mimi, with tempo and key changes but she can sing the entire thing without missing a beat.

On the other hand, she's having the damnest time with her times tables. She's always been an "A" student, until we moved here where Fairfax County thinks she's a "B" reader. (Fairfax County is stupid.)

I know parents have been lamenting this quandry since the 70's*, but if someone super-hip could record a Multiplication Table song I know it would pay off. Parents all over the US will plunk down good money for an easy way to teach their kids what 9x8 equals.

The drawback would be all the spontaneous sing-a-longs during math tests...

*Because, unfortunately, I remember them saying it.

3 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I think my sister in law Denise actually DID make up a multiplication table song for her 3rd graders years ago. I can ask her if you'd like. Mac should make up her own song. Or just plug them into the RENT song.

Anonymous said...

School house rock has cds for time tables - not as hip as Destiny's Child, but htey do exist at amazon.com I think.

Anonymous said...

I found you through John and decided that I should teach you how to do your 9's on your hands [if you don't know already].

So hold your hands up in front of you. For example, 9x3. Counting from the left, put your 3rd finger down. That leaves you with 2 [space for 'missing' finger] 7, 27. It works best up until 10, for obvious reasons.

And honestly I don't remember how to do 11 and 12. I hope this helps!