Thursday, December 01, 2005

Yay... Wrestling!

I figured out tonight why my parents made me a golfer at a young age. They saw, ten years down the road, that if I was a golfer then I would compete in golf meets. Parents don't attend golf meets. You go, you play, you come home and tell them what you shot. There are no parents wandering around unfamiliar cities, wondering where the golf course is. There are no parents standing around before the meet, waiting for a busload of kids to show up so it can start. There are no parents following their kids down the fairway hanging onto every swing. It's a very low-parental-maintenance type of sport (just my kind...). Replace balls and tees every once and a while and you're good to go. Clubs last forever and gloves and spikes are optional. There are no sneakers to replace, cups, pads, swimsuits, helmets, gloves, leotards, sweats to buy.

There's very little guilt in parenting a golfer. You don't have to feel bad when you'd rather be at home watching CSI than sitting in a football stadium. You don't have to feel bad for not wanting to work concessions/provide lasagna/bruise your butt on rock-hard bleachers/drive an hour (each way) for two 3-minute wrestling matches. You don't have to feel dread when you pull up to a school and circle the parking lot, hedging your bets on which is the closer door to the pool.

But on the bright side, with a wrestler for a son, I'm inside a somewhat warm gym and not growing icicles from my nose in the stands at a football game. I feel relatively confident that he's not going to snap his neck on a wrestling mat.

I don't mind coming to these events. I know that in two years, when he is off doing the college-thing, that I will long for the smelly gyms, the sports I don't understand, bleacher-butt, and missed prime-time shows.

But then it will be time for Mac to join.



Sporting the "Onesie". Please note the disaster that is his room behind him. That is unusual. He's been busy.















Saying, "Hey Dude, I'm gonna kick your ass."









Getting his ass kicked in his first match ever.








Here he put up more of a fight during the 2nd match. Check out how the only thing touching the mat is the other guy's foot...

1 comment:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

D is super sexy in his wresting suit. When will he be 18??
Love
Mrs. Robinson