Saturday, November 19, 2005

I Always. Win In the End.

We've been in our house almost year. The previous owners didn't leave the instruction manual to the electronic thermostat and while I do consider us a shade brighter than your average bear, neither one of us has cracked the code on re-programming it. Part of the trouble is that we're a little afraid to really try. What if we get it stuck in the 97-degree-range all winter and then we have to go adjust it every time sweat starts popping out on our foreheads?

So, we've chosen the alternative, which is to just live with their settings and adjust as we get too cold or too hot. The problem here is that they seem to be a family of polar bears, with the temperature set at 66 degrees be it summer or winter. So I go up and hit "Hold" - "70" (that's one day that's almost warm enough for me) and then I get all toasty and forget that in a mere 24 hours, we're going to have icicles hanging off our noses again and then I'm out, or we're asleep, or something happens to distract me*, and of course, by the time I figure it all out, it's back down to 66 degrees again and everyone** is bitching that their toes/nose/ears are cold. (Except Dillon. Because he has a lizard in his room and the heat lamp keeps his room at a toasty 80 degrees year round.)

*Which doesn't take much. I was going to name this journal "Easily Distracted" until I Googled it and saw how many of us flakes there really are out there.

**Mostly me.

So that is what happened last night. We were all freezing, no one willing to do anything about it until we all converged on the stairway headed to bed, complaining, "My toes are freezing! I need an electric blanket!" and I actually looked and saw it said "66". Brr. I knocked it up to 70 and by the time I was finished brushing my teeth and washing my face, my bedroom was warm, my sheets still a frozen wasteland.

But it's ok because Tater was in bed already so I just scooted WAAAY over to his side and smooshed myself right up next to him, super cozy and comfy. Nice.

And then he said, "You have to turn out your lamp."

"No."

"Yes."

"I can't."

"You have to."

"I can't. Because if I move, then you'll move and then I won't get as comfy again as I am now."

And then he tickled me.

So I turned out my light. And when I got back to his side of the bed, he was lying on his back, his ribs jutting into my spine, his biceps a miserable lump under my ear, and I said, "SEE! You moved!"

And he just laughed. So I tried to wriggle my way into another comfy position to best steal his body heat but it never happened again and I ended up SO uncomfortable that the only option was to go back to my side where it was FREEZING which I did and today I'm going to put on the flannel sheets. Which he hates. :)

I win.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice piece on thermostat..

Paige said...

Thank you.