Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Accutane's Bad Rap

So last night, as I'm climbing into bed, I hear a teaser for the 11pm news:

"Accutane linked to suicide. Tune in at 11 for details..."

So guess what I was doing at 11.

It's been 3 1/2 months since Dillon began his Accutane regimen and each month, the doctor has made it unquestionably clear that we need to keep an eye on Dillon's mood, as depression is one of the two serious side effects (Birth-defects being the other. But that's not an issue here.). Each month, after we have had a pre-appointment for bloodwork, we meet with the doctor and he sits down and looks us each in the eye:

"Do you have feelings of hurting yourself or others?"

"No."

"Mom? Does he seem normal?"

"Yes."

"Mackenzie? (If she's with us.) Does Dillon seem different?"

"No."

And then he enters Dillon's information into a special computer database that tracks Accutane users, called iPledge. When we started this in November, he informed me that there were some people who believed there was a correlation between Accutane and suicide. As far as the FDA is concerned, they are "still assessing reports of suicide or suicide attempts".

I watched the news report, but came away from it feeling like I missed something. There was no new evidence... they interviewed parents of 2 boys who had committed suicide while on Accutane, both several years ago. I couldn't understand why they even wasted their time putting together that story so this morning, I got online at News 9. The story didn't even make it to their online edition.

Still unsatisfied (I wanted to know if there was actually new evidence), I Googled "accutane suicide". Most hits are law firms wanting to represent me if my son kills himself. It takes hours to wade through the junk to find factual evidence and even then, most of the evidence is anecdotal. This senator's son got a lot of press, simply because he's a senators son. But the fact that his son was "happy" and then took Accutane and then committed suicide is not empirical evidence. He asked for more information for patients and I agree that is a good thing. But to present his case as proof that Accutane causes suicide is simply not true. The news report stated that two-hundred and some (I forget the actual number) of teens on Accutane have committed suicide. And that over 13 million (again, a guesstimate) teens have taken Accutane. Now. Its been a LONG time since I Aced statistics at Purdue, but I'm just guessing that the incidence of suicide among teens on Accutane is less than that in the general teen population. Also, isn't it probably a fact that the kids with the most severe acne might have a greater incidence of depression than those kids who haven't been humiliated and scorned by their peers while the medical profession spent years crossing every other therapy off their list before finally prescribing Accutane?

So I looked it up. I was right:

According to Wikipedia: Several studies have emerged suggesting a possible link between isotretinoin and depression. It must however be acknowledged that its primary use is for the treatment of the most severe acne. The possibility that this severe acne is causing the depression is therefore not to be ruled out. Moreover, improvement of a patient's acne by successful treatment with isotretinoin can actually reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. Statistical evidence shows that the suicide rate among Accutane users is actually lower than average.


My point is not to deny that there may be a link between Accutane and suicide, but to stress that it does no one any good to sensationalize the situation. An infinitely more helpful news story would have been to educate adults with facts and refer them to sources for further information on this serious, perhaps deadly, issue.

(PS - Here's how it all turned out.)

10 comments:

John said...

I took accutane in high school and for a small part of college. I loved it because it flushed out my system, cleaning the acne very well.

I was warned about it, though. Depression, suicide blah blah blah. I think the reason a fuss was put up was because of the senator's son. Personally, I never felt a difference in myself while taking it, and I was on it twice.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Bravo to you for looking into this further on your own. The really scary part is that I'm sure some people will see that account and now refuse to let their children take the drug. A complete disservice. When a family member commits suicide, people always search for any reason. The reporting seems rather irresponsible. You should write a letter to the station.

Candi said...

Two of my good friends took accutane through college. One male, one female - both were fine. I remember the female friend telling me about the pregnancy issues - quite scary! Regardless, they never had any issues with depression or thoughts of suicide.

Mr. Big said...

Your point is well taken, but news like all other forms of entertainment are aimed at the lowest common denominator. You will rarely find any nuance in news, or news papers.

A journalist friend of mine told me they are told to write for people with a 10th grade education! No big words!

~A4O~ said...

Nice post and good read. I'm glad I stumbled across your blog. Looks like things are good. Oh and I love the header. Later...

Brooke said...

Even now, at an ancient age...the prospect of a "clear skinned day" thrills me.

You're doing what's best all around and are a loving, caring person. Nothing to worry about that.

Anonymous said...

Oh, these damned 'surveys', 'studies' and 'statistics'! >>:-( Of course having severe acne - even having 'mild' acne - makes people depressed! Shit, I get depressed when I get a couple of silly little spots! (And why do they tell you 'break-outs' are an adolescent thing and you'll grow out of it? Well into 'The Change' I still occasionally get spots! >>:-( )

But acne is an awful thing - and it tends to start at just the age when young people are feeling most self-concious and really wanting to look good in the eyes of their peers. Who wouldn't get freakin' depressed? Even suicidally depressed?

But, like Mr Big says, it's the media that blow up these stories into the sort of sensationalism that will 'sell' their papers or TV channels to the masses.

Anything that makes the acne go away can only make the acne sufferer feel less depressed, IMHO!

Anonymous said...

BTW, just 'found' your blog (via Brooke - & Betty) and added it to my list! :-D
How did I miss you before? Lots of catch-up reading needed now! ;-)

Anonymous said...

My name is Amanda Nourse and i would like to show you my personal experience with Accutane.

I have taken for 6 days. I am 27 years old. My dermatoglogist put me back on Accutane partially because Klaron, Rentin A, & Doxycyclin were NOT working....I have been on Accutane before about 7 years ago so not too concerned about the side effects. With my previous run on this medicine I didn't have the severe back aches. I will say I did have tons of issues registering with the IPledge website...all too confusing all to combersome! Didn't have to do that 7 years ago. Since this is my 2nd go round I can say that for me there were no depression issues because my skin looks awesome ...tons of compliments. As with all things once I stop so will the side effects. This medication is obviously for those with severe acne so you should certainly weigh the pros vs. the cons...for me I didn't think twice...

Side Effects :
I've been on Acutane for 6 days now & I will say my back is aching terribly & my lips are DRY!

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Amanda Nourse

Anon said...

Doing some sleuthing and finding even though there are some happy endings to Accutane I read the side effects. Yuk! I also have a friend that is being treated for IBS. His large intestine is gone. He knows it is because of Accutane usage. Is it worth it. I was researching Jonathan Brandis's hanging. His friend said he was on Accutane. Let's not forget the senator's son. Statistics can be skewed any way you want. The FDA is known to be run by ex Pharma employees. The biggest lobby in congress is Pharma. We've got to wake up.