Monday, February 20, 2006

Bleeding Heart, Weeping Eyes

OK! This was The Weekend of Dead Pets!

Beth, Mac and I went to see 8 Below on Saturday.

I am not allowed to see movies where animals die or are hungry or are in any other manner of harm. It makes me cry and I try to avoid being a blubbering idiot in public. But by the end of the movie, my eyes were red, my sinuses were clogged, and I was in a serious funk.

So after we got something to eat and came home, I finished reading Mackenzie's book, A Mango Shaped Space. The REASON it's called A Mango Shaped Space is because the cat, named Mango, DIES, thereby leaving a Mango shaped space in the main character's life. So then I cried while reading the last 25 pages of that.

Then on Sunday, while ironing, I happened to catch one of those ASPCA shows on Animal Planet. Short story: No tears, but super-crappy-feelings. Now I have a ban on ALL Bambi-Where the Red Fern Grows-Old Yeller-Dead-Pet Media.

But dead fish, no problem:

So I just fed my kids fishsticks for dinner. Throw in some RC Cola and Cheez Doodles with some Rod Stewart on the radio and cigarette smoke in the air and I'd be having a 1974 flashback.

5 comments:

John said...

Cigarette smoke? Come on. Let's be honest with ourselves, now.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

At least you FED them dinner this time......

Anonymous said...

What's up with John's comment.. does he know how old you were in 1974...

Paige said...

Hey! I was a pretty hip 7-year-old! Also, remember our neighbors at Beau Jardin? Groovy.......

Brooke said...

Oh are you kidding me? I would have shot myself if I were forced to see Eight Below. That, or the patrons would have thrown me out for the ear-piercing wails.