Monday, August 21, 2006

Things I Bring On Myself

Look around for a minute. See your computer, your house (or job), maybe some kids, a car, nice furniture, a giant TV, a refrigerator full of food...

And if that hasn't made you to feel fortunate enough, I highly recommend a visit to your County Health Clinic.

In June (maybe even May), the School Corporation sent me a letter stating that Fairfax County has changed it's immunization requirements for rising 6th graders. Every rising 6th grader needs to have had a DTP booster within the past 5 years, the proof of which should be provided on the first day of school or your child may not enter 6th grade.

Thanks, Fairfax County! I'll get right on that. (Hi. Do you remember me? My name is Paige and I'm a Master Procrastinator.)

So. School starts two weeks from tomorrow.

I chose today to be The Day I Found Out When Mackenzie Last Had A DTP Booster. This required approximately 24 seconds of my attention whereby I opened the file with her name on it an took out her Immunization Card. Then read it:

DTP. 2000.

Off to the internet I went to determine the operating hours for the Immunization Clinic on base. Found it, right next to the highlighted words: "Immunizations are a prescription medication and must be ordered by a physician or licensed provider."

Non-Military translation: "You may not just show up asking for a DTP. You must call the hospital and then sit on hold for 20 minutes while waiting to schedule an appointment, all of which will be full until sometime in late September (Your child can't start school? Too-bad-so-sad) . On the day of your appointment you must first circle the Hospital parking lot 16 1/2 times before finding a parking space, then head to the Records Room to stand in a line 5 people deep to pick up your medical records before proceeding to your appointment where you will obtain the Sacred Prescription for DTP Immunization, at which point you will head to the Immunization Clinic only to find out that the Immunization Clinic hours ended 15 minutes ago and you must then go home, rinse and repeat. Your child will hopefully start school by Halloween."

Then I re-read the letter from the School Corporation (Remember that? The one I got in June (or May even)?) and noted where it said I could get a FREE SHOT for school-required immunizations down at the County Health Department. So I looked that up on my computer. There was one 5 BLOCKS FROM MY HOUSE in a non-descript office building! (Who knew?) I called. Walk-in hours were ending in 15 minutes, I was there in 5.

And as I sat there among the mass of humanity and listened to one nurse explain to a dad with broken English how his child's further health care would require some cost on his part, and watched a young mother chase her 3 year old boy and twin baby girls around until their number was called, and saw more than one pregnant teenager be called back while my ears were being assaulted by a child playing with the Toy of Unimaginable Germs, I remembered how fortunate I was. That I live in a country where I can be understood, and we can afford to spend $350 in groceries in one week, and my totaled car could be replaced with a brand new Acura. If I chanced to get pregnant (which would be a surprise to Tater and his cauterized vas deferens), we could afford to have the best medical care in a sanitized, private office, and if I hadn't been born with the unfortunate characteristic of procrastinating to absurdity, my children could get all of their health care without ever stepping foot into a Free Public Health Clinic.

And so I was Thankful.

Until I came home to my house, which is getting a new roof, and stepped on a rusty nail.

(But it's ok! Nurse Bronwyn made me get a Tetanus booster a few years ago when I almost cut my finger pad off speed-chopping lettuce. Thanks, Girlfriend!)

7 comments:

Candi said...

...but did anyone have an open wound?

I had to do all the boosters this year as well. I, too, got the delinquent parent letter from the school nurse back in, oh, May? And finally took care of that in August... The woman at the front desk was not psyched that it took me so long when I turned it in. Whatever...

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I'm amazed you still had the letter. Thank God you at least had an option. It's always a good reminder to be thankful when you have to go to the "free" anything. I get Sam his next round of immunizations on Thursday. ("What's he need, his Dip-Tet?")

Anonymous said...

We have all our shots up to date, but I can totally relate to your interpretation of waiting in lines at a military hospital. We seem to spend ALOT of time at the hospital(s) these days. Glad you were able to get everything in order so that Mackenzie can start 6th grade. We only have 5 days until school starts - thank goodness :-)

Anonymous said...

Paige,
I use Tricare Prime so that I can use a civilian doctor. The doc is close to home and appointments and emergency stuff (last minute shots) are pain free (ha ha). Kindly, Liz

Brenda said...

I want to know why the staff makes you feel like a low life? (well, anyway that was my experience).

My oldest had to get a MMR booster when she was in HS... something about the dosage wasn't strong enough when she was a baby.

I'm so glad my kids are past all that! I barely made it as it was.

Hate the tetanus shot! OUCH... they hurt... for DAYS!

Nina said...

My mom used to work at a doctor's office so I was fortunate enough to have my tetanus shot brought directly to my home. Now, when my mom went to give that shot to me at age 16, I wanted to belt her back about ten feet. I relented and let her stick me, which felt like a lead pipe going into my vein. I'm with ya, Brenda, it hurt for days! Like a huge bruise that weighed my arm down so I couldn't lift it past my waist. Man, those suck.

Candi said...

The only time I have used a free clinic was when I was taking the first real pregnancy test to see if I was actually pregnant with Siena. I had to go somewhere where it would be annonymous and not be reported or put on my record. The woman obviously saw my disbelief and concern, she was very helpful and friendly. She even ended up making Siena a quilt once I had her.