Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Meanwhile, 11 Hours Later...

Oh. My. God.

I got my ass whipped today while trying to take a couple (as in 75 or so) simple photos.

I needed photos for my little jewelry/cards home-business to send to a girlfriend for a store she manages.

I did the jewelry first because it would be easier:

I put them on a black cloth and took them outside - sparkly things like the sun, right? WRONG! Against the black cloth the crystals came out overexposed and I lost all detail. (Of course I only knew this after I uploaded the photos to my computer and futily* fiddled around with them for entirely too long.)

*Shut up. I know that's not a word.

So back outside I went. I put the pieces, this time, on a quartz rock. The colorful glass beads & Czech crystal looked great, but the clear crystals disappeared against the white of the rock. (Of course I only knew this after I uploaded the photos to my computer - but didn't spend any time fiddling.)

Obviously "outside" is the wrong venue.

So I came inside and tried a different rock. Maybe the lack of bright sunlight would leave the crystal with more detail. Not-so-much. (Of course I only knew this after I uploaded the photos to my computer. See a theme?) But now I was getting smarter - I only took a few photos of the particularly troublesome pieces.

So now... I'm tired of my jewelry and ready to throw it off the nearest bridge, and Tater's not up yet and therefore can't ask him for help with his professional-type camera with all the fancy buttons, levers and assorted flashy-things...

So I took photos of my cards instead, and only then realized that I sold most of them at Christmas time. I took photos of what was left - not my best work, to say the least. Some came out a little blurry at the top and I DON'T EVEN CARE.



So now I'm catching on. Black is too dark...White is too light...I need Gray. Or something like it. I look over and notice that my new sofa pillows are sort of a beigy-greeny-gray.

Tried them.

They worked well enough.

No comments: