Tuesday, May 29, 2007

In the Pink

It will surprise no one that Mac has Pink Eye and if Dillon and I (can Taiko get Pink Eye?) manage to escape uninfected, it will be a miracle. When I called the Base Clinic this morning, I was number 19 in the hold queue. I took that to be a bad sign. I was right. No appointments for today or in the foreseeable future (assuming that June 14th is the “foreseeable future”). But the Duty Nurse “referred us to Inova Urgent Care at [DeWitt Army Hospital’s] expense”. When we got there to check in, the lady at the front desk had no idea what that could mean. We’ll see....

So after sitting in Urgent Care for 2 hours, I took her prescription to CVS where they told me it would be ready in 30 minutes. We ran errands for 55 minutes, after which we returned to CVS where we were told that it wasn’t supposed to be ready until 5pm, wasn’t even in the computer yet, and I should sit down because if I wanted it now, it would be 15 minutes. As my patience for Virginia is shot, and I had already wasted my afternoon away with some of Fairfax County’s most infectious, I didn’t take that well. And unfortunately, the Pharmacist didn’t quite understand the finer points of Customer Service (
because you all know I am an Olympic Gold Medalist in Customer Service - ahem), and instead of just apologizing for the mix-up and filling my prescription ASAP by putting the damn eyedropper in a bag, she just stared at me, did not apologize, and had the nerve to tell me that it would be a while because they were just now putting it into the computer and there were CUSTOMERS AHEAD OF ME.

I did sit down, and I did wait patiently, but don’t worry, I didn’t leave before s-l-o-w-l-y and gently explaining to her why it was not acceptable for me to be told 30 minutes and then to expect me to wait longer with a sick child because someone in her department made a mistake.

I still don’t think she got it, but when I turned around to leave, the elderly gentleman behind me looked right at me and smiled and said, “Good job. I don’t blame you.”

Don’t poke the Mama Bear.

Photo Credit - Mackenzie

No comments: