Sunday, April 29, 2007

Shopping, How Do I Hate Thee? Let Me Count the Ways...

There are several reasons I don't take Mackenzie shopping anymore:
  1. She hates everything in the store. It doesn't matter if we're at the Gap, or Target; Limited Too, Nordstrom or Abercrombie. The clothes are too long. Too short. Too loose. Too tight. Too many seams. Too many pockets. Weird buttons. Bows? (Are you kidding?) Too dorky. Too scratchy (She comes by this honestly. I am the Queen of "Too Scratchy" - sorry, Omm). Too pink. Too many flowers. Too "grandma". (Should all of these "too's" have two "o's" in them? They all look funny to me now.) Too matching. Too "Little House on the Prairie"...
  2. Turns out, she's much like me and doesn't really care for shopping. Get the two of us together and we can talk ourselves out of shopping any day. (I know. We're an embarrassment to women everywhere.)
  3. She's hit the Age of Modesty. When we're in a dressing room together she will contort her body in ways I've only seen little Chinese Acrobats do so that I won't see the Developments. (I don't know how this happened, as up until 3 years ago she was still jumping into the shower with me.)
  4. And then there's the Funding Issues. And buying her something that she hates, just so she'll have something to wear is no longer in my budget. From now on I only buy things she LOVES. Sucks to be her.
But after school on Friday, we did have to go buy her something to wear on the bottom of her body as in the past month she has grown out of Every Single Pair of Pants and Shorts she owns. She came home from school on Monday in a pair of jeans that were painted on in a way that only Gloria Vanderbilt circa 1981 could be proud of. I don't know how this happened, as I've been feeding them only about half of what I normally do (Annie, I can hear you saying how they would have starved on more than one occasion in Japan if not for you and Carolyn. True Story.) as the new budget only allows for less than half of the old food allowance. (Who wants to come over for lunch? We're having Broth and Stale Bread. We call it "A Tribute to Oliver".) (Shut up! I'm joking! Today we went to Lisa's for lunch.)

OH, the distraction!

Anyway, we went to Kohl's. Friday, we went to Kohl's. She came away with a black skirt (needed for her Chorus Concerts), a dress (needed for the Quinceanera party she was invited to this weekend), a pair of shorts, and a pair of capri pants. And a couple of tank tops.

I came away with this:

Where she ran into me with the cart. (It doesn't look like much, but that's the side of my leg, right where there's a little bump of a bone that sticks out just under my knee... and it hurt enough to make the pretty colors sparkle before my eyes.)

Which leads me to:

#5. Shopping with Mackenzie can be harmful to your health.

4 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

We didn't fee them because you were poor, we fed them because you were negligent...

I understand they can keep growing even if you deprive them of sunlight and snacks. I don't know why you try to buy her anything other than jeans anyway. You know that's all either one of you ever wants to wear.

MaryB said...

We have Mary Poppins and dancing children in common. We share an astrological sign and fav books and movies. We're both good cooks and moms. BUT, here we diverge...

I am so happy when shopping. At least until the money guilt kicks in. Rich would tell you that my best friend's name is AnnTaylor and the she lives next door to the White House Black Market and that she lives in a country named the Banana Republic. He'd also tell you about the time I got caught leaving drool on the Jimmy Choo glass while waiting for a table at the restaurant next door.

If I had a daughter to shop with we would be in bankruptcy in no time! Bruises or not.

Luckily for our checking account, I currently judge every purchase by visualizing choosing it or wood floors and a custom pantry. Home improvement ALMOST always wins!

Paige said...

Annie~ You say 'negligent'. I say 'easily distracted'. I would have remembered eventually. Like the next day... Hehehe. Jeans.... I love.

MB~ I do like to hang out in Ann's Loft sometimes, but I've never been in the same room as Mr. Choo's Shoos. (Unless 'Sex in the City' counts.)

Ohhhhh. I understand the dilemma. Wood floors is an easy winner for me. :)

Anonymous said...

I love this entry! Not the part about you getting a war wound, but all the rest of it - I love the way you describe that trip.

Oh, and I am pretty sure it is two o's.