Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Sunshine at 10pm

At 8:30 last night I fell asleep on the sofa while reading the Amazing Panda Adventure. I guess I was tired.

When I woke up at 10:00 to go to bed, a cleaned-up pineapple juice can full of flowers from my garden was resting on my kitchen counter.

I wondered who had left them, but just for a moment. This random act of kindness had Mackenzie written all over it.

While I was asleep, she crept out to the garden, cut them, arranged them, and left them for a surprise. (Now, I realize I'm always going on about how great my kids are, but a) this is my blog and 2) you keep coming back, so really, it's more your problem than mine.)

Anyway, I have no idea how this girl became so considerate. She is sweet, and helpful,* and just downright thoughtful.

*Oh man, now I'm a little stressed about that comma. Do I include it? Do I omit it? I can really go either way - most British omit, most Americans include. It does look a little extraneous to me - I mean, if I leave it out, it won't change the structure of the sentence and you'll still know exactly what I'm talking about, but my instinct is to leave it. I'll leave it.

And apparently, I'm so simple that a tiny can of flowers will spontaneously turn a crappy day beautiful.

7 comments:

Irish Eyes said...

the comma is whatever.
you spell it s-e-n-t-e-n-c-e.

love. : )

Paige said...

HA! I just caught that during a "House" commercial Break. One should not try to post and watch "House" at the same time. It is ineffective.

Anonymous said...

Of all the things we try to teach our kids (and hope the lessons sticks), common kindness and consideration are the ones that often take us by surprise. I know that's true for me.

Brenda said...

Whenever my kids performed a random act of kindess for me or anyone else in the house, I told them they were allowed to live in the home one more day. I still have two of the five living with me.....not really sure if they performed that many acts of kindness, or if I just like them.

Anonymous said...

Like Mother like Daughter..

Anonymous said...

I agree with wordgirl!

At the end of the day, teaching kids where to put commas is less important than raising nice people :-)

And, yes, I know 'that' comma could come out, but I'd leave it in (in spite of being British!) because it indicates a natural pause when reading the sentence aloud. (See? I'm as anal as Brooke! ;-D )

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Both of your children are lovely people. Mac just has the most wonderful timing. I am much more concerned with raising Sam to be kind than to be #1. I worry less that he will dye his hair purple and more that he will grow into someone I want to poke in the eye. You've obviously taught them well by example.

And I like the comma where it stands. But then, I'm a fan.