Friday, May 02, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and the Weird

Wow. Remember when I used to post stuff on here and you guys would come read it and then we'd get to talking (and sometimes drinking... OH! Remember drunk blogging?! How fun was that?!) and we'd laugh and joke and sometimes talk about serious stuff like the side-effects of Accutane and Sports-Rage in Grandparents and Sex and Politics (wait, that wasn't me - I don't talk politics)... Anyway, we talked about stuff - important stuff - and we had such fun? ...

Good tiiiiiimes....

Well, it's been a month, and I feel as though I should write an Ode to April. I could title it "Weird as Hell".

First, let me note that I posted the following quote sometime in February. I liked it, and it spoke to me, but I wasn't sure why. Many weeks later, it makes perfect sense...

In the arithmetic of love one plus one equals everything and two minus one equals nothing.” -Mignon McLaughlin

I had been living in a "two minus one" world and didn't realize it. I started to realize it last October. It took 5 months for full realization to hit. I can be slow to come around.

Back to the weird stuff:

  • Grandma died. That's not really weird, per se. She was almost 90, had cancer and was in diapers. But her funeral gave us (me, Ali, Mom and Dad) the opportunity to reconnect with Dad's brother and his family in Florida. And it was great. I highly recommend hanging out with family. Mine and Alison's cousins are young - 13, 15, and 18 - their dad is only 10 years older than I am. But can I just say, I think we rocked the cousin-hanging-out standard. And we participated in "Bring Your Old Cousin to the Beach Day." You should try it. It's fun.
  • Dillon got himself arrested. I hesitate to post that on here lest his Dad read this and use it against him he will, but let me just say, it's a fact. It was Really Stupid, he totally regrets it, and hopefully his one night in jail will circumvent any further plans to be an idiot.
  • We had an earthquake. In Indiana. And it woke our asses up at 5:30am. I'd like to schedule all further earthquakes for later in the day. Preferably around Happy Hour.
  • Cat spent 4 days in the Animal Hospital. He had a raging ear infection that last Friday we didn't think he would survive without the $4,000 MRI/surgery combo. Monday came and went without him having to be euthanized and now, though he still has a head tilt and walks like a drunken sailor* and will be on antibiotics for another month, the brain seizures and inability to walk have ceased. He still can't jump onto anything and may never be 100%, but at least he's alive and well. And, the vet somehow fixed his meower. He never meowed before he was sick, and now he never shuts up.
* I know. I've seen thousands of them.
  • On the very day I thought to myself how grateful I was that I had not gotten a summons for Jury Duty, I arrived home from work and guess what was in my mailbox... A summons for Jury Duty. I am so not making that up.
  • I had birds in my car. Yes. Birds. When I went out to the car on Wednesday morning to take Mac to school, I opened the door, got in, and was surprised to find 2 birds flying about my head. I asked myself, "Birds?!" Then yelled, "BIRDS," just as Mac was rounding the corner. All she saw was me screaming and jumping out of the car, flailing my arms about my head, screaming, "OPEN THE DOORS, OPEN THE DOORS!! BIRDS!! BIRDS!!" We did, and they flew out, and life was Good again. I still can't figure out how they got in there.
  • I began a new relationship. This, in and of itself, is not weird at all. The weird part is that he lives next to Mom and Dad, I've known him for about 7 years, and I used to hang out with he and his ex-wife when I came home for a visit. His name is Tim. He's a Firefighter. In March, when I realized the truth in the above-posted quote and took back control over that part of my life, he somehow noticed the change in me and decided to ask me out, after having thought about doing it for a year. After spending 5 hours with him on our first date, I recalled how much I missed having another adult to talk to and it occurred to me that just going through the motions of a "settled life" - work, home, laundry, kids - wasn't enough. So we went on a second date. The following night. And we started to realize the millions of things we have in common. Now, my life is Enough. And I am happy. As are we:

19 comments:

Mahala said...

Awww.. look how sweet! Sorry to hear about the cat, glad he's doing better, but an ear infection? For real? Must have been a hell of an infection.

Anonymous said...

So good to hear from you stranger! Where to start? How about, how tall is your man? Dude! He's a big boy.

Birds in the car? That would completely freak me out and I may just have to sell the car.

Dillon? No words. He is a good boy he will be fine.

The earthquake - I thought of you when it woke me at 5:38. Really.

Drunken posting? Let's pick a night and all join in!!!! (after May 11. That's when I give up giving up drinking.)

So happy to see you back.

Paige said...

Mahala- It is a hell of an infection. Apparently, cats have 2 chambers in their inner ear. The infection has probably set up camp in his inner chamber, inaccessible except for surgery. We're trying antibiotics - they may work, they may not. But he is improving every day so that's encouraging.

Bec. Hey, Girlfriend. Thanks. Can you believe the craziness that goes on here? Tim's about a foot taller than I. Remember - you can't judge the size of things against me - I'm like an elf. I should have one of those signs - "Objects next to me appear larger than they really are."

Anonymous said...

I am laughing because when I read bec.'s comment wondering how tall Tim is, I thought, "I bet he's average tall but next to Paige he looks giant!" Troy and I have heard that our whole marriage when people see us together in photos: "Wow, I didn't realize Troy was so tall!"

I am sorry you had birds and a death in the family and sadness and weirdness, but I am glad things seem to be getting better. It's nice to hear from you again!

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a roller coaster month you had! But with all that sadness and chaos came something great. You and Tim look so happy and adorable. I first saw the photo on your Flickr, and I thought, "Who's that?" so I came to investigate.

So happy to hear the good news!

Brenda said...

Sorry about Dillon. I know from kid experience, that the one night usually works to prevent further occurrences.

Earthquakes. Been in two of them here in Oregon. Both times I was awake. Not any better of a feeling. They make my feet tingle.

Poor kitty.

Birds? Did this invoke reruns of "The Birds" in your head? YIKES!

And having an adult in your life. FANTASTIC!

Anything is Possible said...

Didn't you think we left earthquakes behind in Japan? Jeez man. So sorry you had to endure more of them. Yuck!

Dillon...not even going there. After listening to my husband's teenage stories, I think it has to happen at least once in a boy's life.

Tim- very nice looking. The two of you look comfy and happy. I'm so happy for you!

Jury duty- I found myself thinking the same thing and then I also received the nasty letter in the mail. Luckily for me I was in my last few weeks of pregnancy and was able to get out of it. NO ONE wants a preggo chick in the courtroom full of hormones and ready to burst.

Anonymous said...

Oh! Look at all this STUFF! I don't even know where to start!

Grandma - Kinda figured.
Family - I miss.
Cat - Oh no!
Dillon - Eek!
Jury Duty - Never gone.
Earthquake - Fun!
Drunk posting - More fun!
Happy - Even better!

All in all, not bad! I like your stuff! Especially what seems to be a very positive Paige.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

You forgot to tell me about the birds! I have this picture in my head of you doing the Paige version of Tommy Boy (Beeeeees! They're stinging meeeee!) Makes me giggle.

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

re: flicker pics
A. Tim looks even better in these photos than he did in that one you sent to my camera. Cute!
2. You even make your sister look giant next to you.
3. Now that you and Allie both have short hair, you look much more alike to me.

That is all.

MaryB said...

This post puts a big smile on my face because I bet there is one one yours!

earthquakes in indiana - WTF?

I am going to second the motion for a group drunk posting!

Poor kitty! (She look a lot like our cat.)

Dylan - ouch! Is this what I have to look forward to as I am hitting the adolescent years? God help me!

BTW - I tried that same pink shirt on yesterday (your dinner at PF chang's). It looked like total crap on me - Im so jealous that it looks so cute on you!

sarah doow said...

See, everyone got here before me. But I was out getting tiddly with Lauren, so it's all good. Earthquakes at happy hour sound like such a great idea.

So glad to hear you're happy. It might be chance, but in that photo you're doing what I, in my Ultra-Elf status, also do when next to a Big Thing. That is, curling up and contracting so as to say "I am clearly not at full size here. Just you wait until I unfurl these tiny legs and you will see I am a GIANT."

Paige said...

Brenda - We spent the rest of the day trying to decide if it was an "Alfred Hitchcock" sort of a day or a "Sleeping Beauty" sort of a day: Birds in both cases, very different outcomes....

Rach - I feel somewhat like you regarding boys and arrests, but damn, the stupid! Also, if I could get myself knocked up by Thursday, when I have Jury Duty, I'd be willing to try that.

Annie - Tommy Boy is EXACTLY what I looked like. You can imagine. And Tim is cute. No joke there.

MB - We have a fault line (the New Madrid) running down from Chicago. It's the 2nd earthquake I've felt here. Freaky. I can start praying now that you can get through 3 teen boys without getting that phonecall, but I'm not sure it'll help. Also - I wouldn't have bought that shirt if my sister hadn't been with me. She made me. It's the girliest thing in my closet right now. And the Giant Bow is hilarious.

Sarah - You always make me laugh out loud. And it is not chance - I do, instinctively curl up next to a big thing - all the time. I just never knew why before. :)

Anonymous said...

Paige! Boy am I glad you decided to finally post - I've been stalking the site waiting.

Tim: Firefighter! That sounds fun. And you two look so relaxed with one another - congrats.

Dillon: one night in jail is better than a month. Perhaps it is a lessoned learned.

Cat: eeeewwwwww and ouch!

Gma: sad to hear it

Drunkenness: YYYYYEEEEEEEHHHHHAAAWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww! You look so happy! Great to see you update.

Valerie

Anonymous said...

Yay! An update!!

You two are really cute together. You look so, so happy. And I am glad.

(I'd be a bit more creative with my comments, but my bout with the flu has totally fried my brain. Bleh.)

poem friday said...

wow! what an update. very glad to hear about the good that was mixed in with the bad and the weird. birds in your car?!? extremely weird!

Chris Cactus said...

Looks like an interesting mix of stuff. I'll admit, I miss the drunk posts.

Paige said...

Thanks, Everyone!

Nina- We are very relaxed with each other. Could be the history...

Val- Happiness is not to be underrated. :)

Nic- Again with the happy. :)

Tina- You have NO idea. The day could only go up from there.

Chris (not THFKAT)- I kind of miss drunk-posting too. I crack myself up when tipsy!