Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Moving On, Then

Have you ever felt like you were living in an endless loop of a Steve Martin movie? In the closing days of 2007,
  • the kids left me alone for 5 days while they visited their dad
  • the drain in the basement (and Dillon's man-cave) quit draining and consequently started flooding - I've carried about 5 buckets of water to the backyard in the past two days
  • my washing machine started leaking
  • I cut my finger with a knife eating cheese and crackers for dinner
  • Taiko and I conspired to lock me out of the house when I went out to gather some Christmas lights. I had neither coat nor shoes; phone nor car keys. After waiting for about an hour in 34-degree weather, I had to break a window to get in.
  • I learned the that tread-life on my tires is nearly shot
  • My favorite curling iron died a slow, agonizing death, and I've been walking around the past several days with bad hair
  • THFKAT* called to tell me he was bringing Mac home on the 2nd and would like to sit down to talk to me at that time. I haven't spoken to him since this day
  • and apparently, I've reverted back to my old habit of lists and bullets when things start to go wrong
But...

2007 marked the year that I gained my self-respect and independence back. The year that I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and remembered the strong young woman I once was. The year I taught my children a lesson in perseverance. Even with the drama and flooding and bad hair days, I think it was an ok year and I'm ready for 2008.

Because according to Annie, 2008 will be The Year of Paige. And we should all listen to her because she is smart.

So hang on tight everyone, because here we go!!!

*The Husband Formerly Known as T (remember this - I will not repeat it later)

13 comments:

MaryB said...

Here's to 2008! The Year of Paige, indeed!

Maybe I will get myself a "Paige Haircut" as a show of solidarity. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Anonymous said...

Hope everything goes with THFKAT.

And here's hoping 2008 is a good year for you.

Anonymous said...

add "well" inbetween goes and with. Damn.

Chris Cactus said...

Happy 2008!!

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

It took you an hour to decide to break a window in 34 degree weather? Maybe I've lived in SoCal too long...

Remember it is The Year Of Paige, so don't take any crap from anyone. You are a grown woman who can end conversations when she has had enough. You are woman, don't forget to raor!

Brenda said...

And..... to add.... remember you have unseen "sisters" who have your back.

Sending good vibes.

Hugs,
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I heart bullets and lists, regress that-a-way all you like.

Year of Paige!!!

Anonymous said...

Cheers to the Year of Paige!

sarah doow said...

I like the idea of matching haircuts. Perhaps we should get jackets made too?

Anything is Possible said...

An hour in the cold with no shoes??? Don't you have neighbors? I highly recommend locking up a key in one of those handy boxes with a code. It's a must for us.

You are a strong young woman. I agree with Annie - just 'shut it down' when you've heard enough. Here's to the year of Paige...

Anonymous said...

I too raise a glass - to the year of Paige!

Paige said...

Hi Guys! Thanks for the encouragement!

The talk went fine (for the most part, anyway). There was nothing that was unexpected and I wasn't ambushed as I had half-feared.

Annie - That's EXACTLY what I was thinking while I was out there shivering. But I REALLY, REALLY didn't want to break the window. I felt like I was letting my house down.

MB - You should totally get the Paige Haircut. Omm could do it for you if she had much longer arms.

The bad thing about short hair (I just remembered..) - it's already time for a trim. Remember the good old days when I went for a year between haircuts? Ahhh, I miss those days.

Anonymous said...

Glad it went good. I came back to check on ya.

Hope you have a good weekend!

Jamie