Sunday, January 13, 2008

Crackin' Me Up

So. Mackenzie asks me tonight, "Mom, can I start drinking coffee?"

And true to my Alternative-Parenting Style, and because I'm certain she won't like it, I say, "Sure."

"Ok, thanks."

At first, I just thought how sweet that she respects me enough to ask. And then I start to wonder why...

"Why do you want to drink coffee?"

"So I don't grow anymore."

Since last summer, she has surpassed me by 2 inches. I am thrilled with this. I hope her dad's DNA puts her closer to his 6-feet than my 5-feet. She, on the other hand, does not want to be bigger than me and has stated so on more than one occasion. I think it's sweet in a mildly disturbing sort-of-way. So I tell her, "Oh, Honey. I don't think coffee will really stunt your growth."

"I know, but I don't want to grow anymore."

"But why?"

"So I can still wear your shoes. You have great shoes."

9 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Tell her if she grows a little more, she can wear MY shoes...

MaryB said...

A) I WANT A DAUGHTER to share shoes with!

B) I never wanted to be tall either -I liked being petite- until I was about 25 and realized id really love to have long legs - that requires height. AND then at 30 I realized being short gives you NO leeway when it comes to puting on even 2 or 3 extra pounds.

C) Connor has been having coffee with me every weekend since he was in the 1st grade. Call CPS....

D) Foot binding?

Brenda said...

How funny is that.

Perks to being tall-er.
1. You don't fit in school lockers any more, so you can't get locked in one.
2. You can reach the top shelf in the grocery store and don't have to climb the shelves.
3. You don't have to hem up your pants.
4. Your sleeves don't hang down past your finger tips.
5. You get recongized as an adult. Not mis-reconginized as a young adult.
6. Your legs touch the floor when you sit in a chair.

I could go on and on.

Still... very funny Mac!

Anything is Possible said...

Oh, Mac! You do have great shoes so I totally see her point. On the other hand, I'm shorter than my mother but my foot is bigger.

I'm with Brenda on the perks of being taller. It's so difficult finding jeans in the right length! And I'd love to have longer legs to strut my stuff in those tall boots!! (Can you hear 'Staying Alive'??? I'd soooo do that walk down the street.)

Paige said...

Brenda - #6 is my dream..... I'm so tired of my legs falling asleep because they are just dangling there when I sit in a chair. Grrr.

MB - My niece Hannah LOVES to have coffee with me. She's 8.

Photos of new shoes pending...

MaryB said...

So happy to hear about Hannah and her coffee - people act like I'm giving my child crack or something when they hear I let him drink coffee sometimes.

Anonymous said...

SMART KID!

But doesn't she want to be able to see in the bathroom mirror?

Paige said...

Em - LOL!!! You are a funny, funny girl.

That cracked Mac up too. She says that her dream is to be able to see in the mirror.

...Apparently it's a toss-up between seeing herself and sharing my great shoes.

Chris Cactus said...

Swing by the local 7-11 and pick up a carton of Marlboro's too ;)