Thursday, October 04, 2007

Only In Indiana

I guess we're assimilating to Indiana. Mackenzie asked me yesterday, after we upgraded our cell phones, "Mom, can I download the Nascar game to my phone?"

And yesterday, I only bitched for 10 minutes after getting stopped by the second train in less than 5 hours. One of which also made Mackenzie late for school after we sat there for 12 (twelve!) minutes as the train went back and forth and started and stopped until I almost lost my mind. That NEVER happened in San Diego or Washington, DC.

Also, I'm less than impressed with the pollen and sundry crap floating around in the air here. Everyone's allergies have been worse the past week or so. Why, you ask? (For it is not blooming season....) Well, my friends, in Indiana (and most of the midwest, I suspect), we have something much, much worse than Blooming Season. We have Harvesting Season. And when the farmer hauls out his ginormous farm equipment and starts cutting down the brown stalks of corn and tufts of soy beans, the Hayfever... it goes Haywire.

Work is going well. I spend a lot of time doing this:

7 Days:Day 6: Mindless Midwest Monotony


...and looking at stuff like this:

Scenery Like This?


...and this:

...Or Like This?


But so far, I do like it. It appears to be something I was made to do. We'll see. I have odd hours and it requires some nights and weekends, which I don't love, but hopefully that will decrease as time goes by.

And I spend a lot of time in the evenings writing reports, so everyone to whom I owe an email, phone call, or text message, please be patient. I'm still trying to manage my schedule AND my sanity.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

but, it's a good sane.

Chris Cactus said...

It does look like a heck of a change from Washington!

Anonymous said...

Looks kind of like my drive!

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

Harvesting season. Oye. My girlfriend in NH has Mud Season.

If you get to be Britney Spears' cae manager, I insist that you call me to discuss it in code.

Anything is Possible said...

Please tell me Mackenzie isn't really becoming a Nascar fan!

I'm so glad you like your job. I'd take driving around in my car over sitting at a desk for long hours anyday!

Harvesting Season???? Wow. I keep thinking of Little House on the Prairie but I know it's not that bad. I grew up in the midwest too. I'd forgotten all about the harvesting season. We didn't have trains though. We had the "Bainer's". The whole family sold newspapers at every major intersection (okay, there were really only two major intersections but those Bainer's were everywhere). There was something seriously wrong with the Bainer's, like mom and dad were brother and sister. Seriously. They could stop traffic for hours. At least the trains won't chase you down with a booger stick. Yep, seriously.

Paige said...

Rach - She finally decided on a snowboarding game instead of the Nascar (I was secretly thankful - soooooo not ready for that). And I'm very, very scared of that Bainer Family.