Thursday, September 13, 2007

Girl, Out of Her Box

This was written last week, when I arrived early for an interview at Purdue and waited in the hallway, in a chair, outside the doorway of an English classroom...

It's been 16 years since I sat in these hallways. Back then, in my early 20's, I had on some old, ripped-up Levi's, sneakers, and a sweatshirt (probably inside out).

Today, at 40, I have somehow traveled full circle and am back where I started.

I sit here in my favorite designer suit with the kicky pleated skirt, wearing black slingback pumps of the same designer, my hands shaking slightly, my too-long hair pulled back in a sensible black barrette.

I am early. By 30 minutes. So I decide that a scan of the job description I am interviewing for and a quick study of my resume might be prudent at this point, but I am distracted. Young students, Dillon's age; grad students, barely older; and professors pass me in the hall, giving me a sideways glance, no-doubt wondering why I am looking so spiffy and uncomfortable in their hallway on a rainy Thursday afternoon.

The job I am here to interview for is something I don't really want to Do. It's a secretarial position. Of all the things I never wanted to be, "Secretary" was near the top of the list - I worked hard in college, my motivation avoiding having to be a secretary some day. (Ironic, isn't it?) But as life goes on, priorities change and at this point, being free of a dysfunctional relationship far outweighs taking a job that falls short of my career goals and in the end, after talking myself in yet another circle, I really do want this job.

So I take a deep breath, put on a smile, and return to studying my resume.

But I keep eyeing my watch, my stomach feeling tighter with each passing minute.

Finally, it's time...

8 comments:

Brenda said...

AND?????

I loved working for a college. Did it twice. Last one was as a program assistant to the Web Degisn Program. Secretary didn't even begin to cover the responsibilities and I loved it!! I let them title a job any old way they want. What you do within the job makes it yours.

And...... since it's now 8:30 AM on the west coast, and you posted this at 7:30 am... your time..

YOU GONNA MAKE ME WAIT ALL DAY?!?!?!

Okay... deep breath...
You didn't give us time to wish you good luck... so, I'm hoping you didn't need our good vibes and next thing you're going to say is...
I GOT THE JOB!!!
See... I'm visualizing. See it and it will happen.

Paige said...

Huh. I totally responded to this. Wonder where it went...

So. I don't know yet. I was the first of 14 to interview so I'm not supposed to find out until next week. I've also interviewed for a Patient Services Rep at a local clinic and I have another interview tomorrow with a social-services-type organization. I'll keep you posted.

And also - thanks for caring :)

Anonymous said...

Paige, you'll be bossing secretaries around in a year, just you wait! You gotta start somewhere. I miss you, my friend...hang in there.
Singing-Lisa

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

You are going to get offered all of the jobs and then you'll dither about which to pick. Feast or famine. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Singing-Lisa is right - it is just a matter of time and you will be in/find something that you really love - I just know it!

Candi said...

I'm pulling for you. I miss you. I hope you are all well. Love, Jes

Anonymous said...

Keep us updated! We care about you Kid.

Chris Cactus said...

Good luck. My fingers are crossed.

Life does go full circle. I'm now living behind my old high school. How odd is that.