Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Bringing Sexy Back

I couldn't find any Hydrocortisone. But I was desperate, so I went back to that bottle I'd been ignoring. It brought back so many memories of my childhood - hikes and camping trips that frequently ended up in Poison Ivy. Is there anything more distinctive than the color and smell of Calamine lotion?

I didn't want to have to go there, but my ears are burning (and not in an oh, someone's talking about me sort of way) and red and swollen; they are scaly and bumpy and itchy (sexy, I know), as is the surrounding 2 inches of skin and the back of my neck. It's bad. It started yesterday morning and has gotten worse and worse over the past 2 days until tonight, when I was ready to rip my ears off, just to rid myself of the discomfort.

I wracked my brain, trying to figure it out. All I could think was that I had my hair returned to it's natural state (minus 4 inches (!!)) on Monday. Maybe my ears were a reaction to the chemicals? But my scalp was fine... not to mention the fact that Omm used the same haircolor she's been using for the past 13 years...

Then all of a sudden it hit me - sometimes, when I wear my glasses, the skin behind my ears is raw and itchy the next day (which for most people, would make them think they were allergic and they would stop wearing the glasses - me, not so much as I am Stubborn). I wore my glasses Monday night whilst studying for my Tuesday morning interview. Duh.

Unfortunately, this "A-Ha Moment" didn't solve the problem - I was still uncomfortable and distracted and whining like a big fat baby to anyone who would listen.

So back to the Tub-O-Pharmaceuticals I went, zeroing in on the Calamine Lotion. But when I picked it up, I noticed how it had the distinctive air of "Flea Market". The bottle actually stated, "Shatterproof Bottle" in big letters, right on the front. Remember when plastic bottles were considered an evolutionary advance for humans? I turned the bottle over, not expecting to find an expiration date. "1/88." January 1988. (Which probably means it was purchased about 3 years earlier.) Seriously. Think about it... what were you doing in 1988? That was a DAMN long time ago.

Regardless of this scary fact, I was desperate (remember the desperation?) ...so I shook the antique Calamine Lotion up. I smelled it. And as it smelled exactly like it was supposed to, I grabbed a cotton ball and now I'm sporting chalky pink ears and neck, the scent unmistakably Eau de Summer, 1985.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is too funny!

Not too long ago I found a coupon in a drawer at my mom's house - it had a 1986 expiration date. Who keeps coupons THAT long?

(Duh, my mother, but that is not something to brag about, eh?)

sarah doow said...

And I thought my house was Supreme Champion of Expiry Dates, but no, we have a winner here!

January 1988 I was six and only had half a head of hair. The right half. I was still cute though.

Anonymous said...

OK Doow..that's not even funny or fair to us OLD folks here! :)

1988. It was a good year. Some people save wine your mom has different tastes.

Paige said...

Sarah - You only had half a head of hair? I've heard of the top half... even the bottom half... but never the right half. And also - I was 3 years out of high school in 1988. I am old.

The really amazing thing is that it WORKED! So much so that I used it more than once last night.

But it still creeped me out enough that I bought some hydrocortisone today. :)

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

You don't have 24 hour Walgreens in Indiana?

And? Mac was saving that for this year's science experiment. Nice going.

Anonymous said...

Umm... I was 3 months shy of 5 years old.

And come to think of it, my mom was getting ready to have my little sister and I was PISSED because I had always had the first birthday of the year and thought that she would then be older than me. :)

I was begging my mom to wait until after my birthday, IN APRIL.

Candi said...

not in an oh, someone's talking about me sort of way

Ha! :)

You cut 4 inches?! I'm so proud of you!

And I was 9. Living in.... I think.... Mobile, AL I think...

Paige said...

Yes, 4 inches. I asked for 2. You know how that is. :)

...But even I have to admit it looks way healthier.

It's just over the bra-strap*.

(*Translation for you short-haired pixies: "Bra-Strap" ~standard hair no-shorter-than measuring device.)

Candi said...

LOL! Seriously - mine is back down to my ass. I look 10 yet again...

So at first glance, I thought the pics were of Mac playing soccer and I thought - No Shit....

Paige said...

Your hair grows mega-fast. Mine takes her own sweet time (wonder where she gets it).

Heh. You know Mac - it's not a sport if she's not in a pool. Besides that - soccer... too hot and dirty for her.

Candi said...

So - does that make me mega-fast?

Don't answer that.

Paige said...

If I say yes, will that be the pot calling the kettle black?

Candi said...

Hehehe, and we've come full circle from where we first met and got along righhhhhtttt away :)

Paige said...

We always do. :)

Smooches and Goodnight!