Friday, September 09, 2005

Photographs & Memories

So. My 20th High School reunion is in 2 weeks.

Today I went through old photos, looking for my First Communion group photo, circa 1974. There are about 20 kids in that photo that walked across the High School graduation stage with me and I'd like to share it at the reunion.

I didn't find it (Mom must have it), but I did find a treasure trove of celluloid memories: Girl Scout camps, birthday parties, childhood dogs, school dances, sleepovers, pet shows, golf/diving/gymnastics meets, road trips, a trip to Mexico with the Spanish class, old boyfriends and lost girlfriends.

It made me so sad for all that's past. The life I lead now has very little relation to my childhood. I have only kept in touch with 2 friends, and that, sporadically. After growing along side of those kids, from Kindergarten through Senior year, and into Purdue with some of them, it is such a shame that I closed the book on that part of my life and essentially started fresh after my divorce from Dale. A life begun at 22, with no history, is a shame indeed.

But now I have a chance to pick up that lost yarn and knit it back into my history. I've reconnected with many of my childhood friends and gotten acquainted with them as adults. I really feel that this is an opportunity that I cannot waste. It's the reason we have reunions: To remember where you came from.

No comments: