Thursday, September 08, 2005

Dillon Freaks Out

The first day of school was Tuesday.

Dillon is the most laid-back kid I know.

And then he came home Freaked Out.

This semester, he is taking:

Spanish 3
Algebra 2 Honors
AP English
World History/Geography Honors
Virginia History (making up for missing it in 10th grade)
Chemistry Honors
and
Guitar

His classes are split up sort of like college - 3 on one day, 4 on the next. So Tuesday afternoon he gets home, walks into the kitchen with his eyes bugging out of his head, holding a sheet of notebook paper.

"God, this year is going to suck. I have SO much homework! There is no way I can play football... I have to go do homework."

"Hon, it'll be ok. It just seems overwhelming right now. Once you get into the swing of things it'll get better."

Eyes bugging, waving sheet of notebook paper: "But, NO, Mom! Look at all these school supplies I need! We have to go get them Right Now!"

"Have you been to all your classes yet?"

"No."

"Well, why don't you wait until tomorrow, after you've been to all your classes and we can go get Everything you need all at once."

"But I NEED them tomorrow! I have Virginia History every day!"

"Honey, I don't think your teachers expect everyone to run right out tonight and start buying all this stuff immediately. No One has these supplies yet. It's not just you."

Turning red: "But I need a composition book!"

"Mackenzie has one."

Looking leery, as if this might be a trick: (To Mac) "Is it one of those marbled ones?"

"Yes, I have lots."

Eyes bugging even more, if possible (they are getting ready to pop out of his head): "But, MOM! Look at all this stuff I need! I need more pencils! I need binders!"

"I understand, honey, but I think it makes a lot more sense to just go and get it all at once tomorrow, after you have a complete list. I promise it'll be ok. Your History teacher will understand."

Frustrated & hyper-ventilating: "Ok. I have to go study now."

He was chilled out by Wednesday. On our way to Staples he told me how he ran around the school Wednesday morning asking all his friends if they had an extra composition book he could borrrow. They all told him, "No, man, it's the second day of school! No one does."

Still unsatisfied, he went to his 10th grade algebra teacher, whom he really liked and asked her if she had one he could borrow. She said, "Dillon, I'm a math teacher. I don't use composition books." But she's so cool that she told him she'd ask around a bit and try to locate one.

I don't know if she ever did find one for him. By the time he was telling me the story, 8 hours later, he could see how obsessive he had been and laughed at himself with me.

I would have him come tell you the story himself, but he's busy studying.

No comments: