Wednesday, July 27, 2005

The Accidental Job

I think I accidentally got a job today.

Here's how it happened:

A few weeks ago, Tater heard that the Customer Service Rep. position for our neighborhood* was in need of a body. Naturally, he thought of me. (Insert scowling emoticon.) Even though I didn't want to start working until September. So he talked to the Girl In Charge and told her I would call her.

*We live in a hybrid condo-townhouse, which means that we own it, but they can boss us around about paint colors, plantings, outside decoration (Allowed: NONE), but it also means that if my bricks start falling off my house or the roof caves in, they are responsible.

So call her I did (two days later).

She asked me what my Skills were.

A vacant expression came over me... I make a great Lasagna. I can dance and make a fruity Margarita. I crack my friends up and make decent jewelry. I write a marginally interesting journal, and I'm a damn good Mom (if I do say so myself). I have a degree in Psychology and one in Criminology, I can decorate a house and plant a beautiful garden...

But NONE of this does me any good in an Office. With a Computer and a Fax Machine, a Copier and a telephone with all the fancy buttons.

Before I could formulate an acceptable answer, she asked me if I could use Excel and Word ("sure! what the hell!") and asked me to meet her this morning. I talked to her for about 15 minutes before she asked me if I could start on Monday. ("sure! what the hell!")

Office Work was never on my radar of job possibilities. It sounds boring. And tedious. And Not Fun. And I have strict guidelines about only doing things that are Fun. Life Is Too Short.

But the logistics of this job are perfect. It's Monday - Friday, 9-1 or 2, it's only about 3 blocks from home and 1 block from the Noodle's school. It's a one person office, basically an assistant for the Girl In Charge I talked to today. It pays $12/hour, they are flexible concerning snow days and doctor appointments, school functions and short vacations. And I can wear jeans.

So I have to meet the President of Board on Friday so he can give me the once-over and we'll see what happens.

(But seeing as how I'm their only applicant and even using half my brain power I could handle the responsibilities, I'm not too worried.)

No comments: