Saturday, November 14, 2009

We're Booking Now!

Eight months ago I started to read a book. Tonight I finished it. I think it was good but I really only remember the last hundred or so pages. And then I cried at the end. It's name is "Firefly Lane."

Now I am faced with the awesome task of choosing my next book. There are several that have languished in my bookcase for quite some time (or years - I'm looking at you, "Poisonwood Bible"), the last book in the Kay Scarpetta series... I thought about "Vanishing Acts" but I fear that I have already read it and I just don't remember. I have a book in there called "Hypocrite in a Pouffy White Dress." I think I'll try that one next as anything too deep these days causes me to lose interest with alarming speed. I've wanted to read "Wicked" but I am afraid that all those made-up names will distract me from the story. Mac wants me to read those vampire books. (What are they called?) I could totally do that but it seems like a huge commitment - have you seen how big they are? They could be the last books I ever enjoy at my current rate of reading.

I have read "Fireman Small" countless times over the past two years but that can only take me so far in the Literary Satisfaction Department. Therefore, I'm currently open for suggestions. If you have a book that you lovedlovedloved, please let me know. Just don't let it be too cumbersome. I can only dedicate a limited number of brain cells to reading lately. Thank you for your participation.

10 comments:

Annie, The Evil Queen said...

I think you should try Olive Kittridge since it is a novel but written more like a collection of short stories. SO you can read one chapter and not pick it up again for weeks, read the next chapter, and not be lost. For no-fiction, I suggest I am Not Myself There Days as it is funny and sad and an offbeat love story. So long as drugs and gay sex don't totally throw you.

I love The Poisonwood Bible but DO NOT attempt it until your head is concentration-ready.

Bec said...

Cole, yes COLE read the Poisonwood Bible. It's not a fave of his. He said it took forever to finish. I have been reading Wicked for 2 years now. My plan is to just stick with the soundtrack. I cannot bring myself to read Twilight. I may read just the first one so I can say I read it and the first one was more than enough.

Brenda said...

I read wicked......Didn't really like it. Not the names..... just the way it flowed. Also read the next one.....I think it's just the author. I don't have a suggestion. I don't recall the last book I read. Wait.... something about marshmellows for breakfast. I've also read all of the Twlight books. I liked them. Of course the whole story is set in the Northwest so, I was very much at home.

Paige said...

Annie. Thank you for your most helpful suggestions.

Bec and Brenda. I love you, but you are no help to me tonight. I will proceed with "Hypocrite in a Pouffy Dress" and get back with you. SMOOCH!

Anonymous said...

If you want non-comital, go the Twilight books. The first one isn't that long (and if you don't like it, you don't have to keep going) and they were totally written for not thinking. Except the last one, that one ROCKS!

Everything else I love is LLLOOONNNGGG... but thoughtless. Tully by Paullina Simons and Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. AWESOME. But again... LLLOOONNNGGG. Then again Melyssa has made her way through both of them and that's RARE.

Good luck! I just started Wally Lamb's "I know this much is true". I'm on the second page, but I'll let you know how it goes. Seems thinky...

Paige said...

Thanks, Em. I'll check those out. I read "I Know This Much is True" when it was an Oprah book. I was pregnant with Mac at the time (if that tells you how LONG ago that was) and remember feeling like it was a bit of a chore. Unfortunately, I don't remember loving or hating it. I did read "She's Come Undone" later so I must not have hated it too much.

Anything is Possible said...

I've read some really good books lately. Page turners really. The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Long Way Gone (boy soldier memoir) by Ishmael Beah. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. I think there was another good one but I can't remember it right now. I liked the Wicked books but you really have to be in the mood to read them. Twilight books are awesome if you want to escape reality and hope some dreamy vampire will sweep you off your feet.
Just remembered...The Butterfly Garden (memoir) Chip St. Clair. -About an abused child whose father was on the FBI's most wanted list for years. Sad but really good read.

***I'm just realizing the books I read aren't going to have you skipping around the backyard with rainbows dancing overhead. Sorry.

Anonymous said...

The Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Mysteries are great...brainless and fun. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is excellent...not a difficult read but thought-provoking...a lovely story. Loving Frank is very good - about Frank Lloyd Wright's scandalous affair with a client's wife.

Charlotte, x-man's momma said...

twilight books are quick reads even though they look big...so no worries there... i suggest "Case Histories" by kate atkinson...i really really enjoyed it.. good luck finding something!

Paige said...

In case anyone checks back in here, I read all 4 Twilight books in the course of a couple of weeks. LOVEDLOVEDLOVED them. Now I've started The Alchemist's Daughter and keep falling asleep reading it. But that's just me.