Saturday, August 21, 2004

School in Indiana

Mackenzie, Dillon and I are here in Indiana!! Tater is still in Japan where he will remain until the middle of November.

The kid's schools started last Tuesday, 10th grade for D, and 4th grade for Noodle, and things here are hopping. They are both enjoying school so far, though we have already faced a few challenges:

Noodle has so much more homework than she ever had in Atsugi. She is not feeling very appreciative of that. Around 5-6 sheets per night, verses 1-2 before. But she does like her teacher, and for that I am grateful. She has a great reputation around the school, and I think that has made us all feel better. Noodle has been acutely aware of missing her Atsugi friends, especially her old classmates. Had she stayed in Japan, she would have looped with her class and she's feeling some regret over not being with them all. She's not made any real friends here yet, but I keep telling her that it's only been 3-and-a-half days, and I think she needs to give it more time. She did tell me that she has already learned those children to steer clear of, though! Such a perceptive little thing. I think it's the Military Brat in her. Maybe it's Me in her...

Dillon is doing a bit better than his sister. He got here 2 weeks before we did and joined the football team (JV) right away. So he had already met kids before the first day of school. A distinct advantage, I must say. He is a little overwhelmed, to say the least, over the fact that the freshman class, alone, is larger than his entire Middle School/High School-Combo in Japan. But he does seem to like his classes (well, I'm, not sure if he likes them, but he hasn't said he hates them!). The first football game was last night and though our team lost, we had a good time. It was a Varsity game, so he didn't play, but he did dress, and got to experience the excitement of 2 4-A teams squaring off. The final score was 19-15 Them, but considering the 19 points were all scored in the first 6 minutes of the game, I'd say our boys had an awesome comeback. The first JV game is tomorrow night, against my alma mater, so I'll have to keep you posted.

No comments: